Posted by Fidelity in
A Profile of 3 Seniors Alisa Goler, Brianna Hesson and Megan Wiggins
How did it feel to be a part of the first softball team in the history of UGA Softball to be ranked #1 in the nation?
Bri: Obviously it was a big deal but at the same token it got stripped away very quickly because we played an SEC team (Alabama). It’s ultimately pre-season and it comes down to how we come out in the post season that matters
Goler: It was one of the coolest things ever. Down the road I get to tell my family that I was part of the number one ranked team. Now obviously we want to be on the #1 ranked team at the end of the season. It made me very proud to say that I was a part of that.
Wiggins: It’s an honor. Every team in the nation wants to be number one. It’s an honor and it goes to show all the hard work we’ve put in since we’ve been here, how hard the coaches have worked and just everybody’s efforts to be the best we can be. Ultimately we just have to keep working and play SEC.
Did being on top change the team's attitude/play?
Goler: As hard as you try to ignore it when you’re playing it kind of hangs up over you because all you think is you can’t screw up or you’re going to drop. It is added pressure but realistically when you’re between the lines you have a clear head. But as far as when you look ahead at your opponents and things you look back on games I think it unfortunately change the way you approach games and play to an extent.
How has the team's attitude changed since falling from the number one spot?
Wiggins: I think it was a good thing. I think it made us a better team knowing we’re not where we should be at the end of the season. [Our losses] have helped us find out things we need to get better and capitalize on. When you lose it makes you a better and stronger team, and I think that’s what it did. Now we can just fight to be #1 at the end.
Being seniors, what is your biggest goal: Personally and as a team?
Bri: I’d say our biggest goal is to win the national championship. Our motto is “to win the last game.” I think it’s a big deal because we went to the World Series the past two years and haven’t gotten the final result we wanted (some “Bling”). So we just need to go out for the seniors to get the SEC ring as well as the National Championship ring.
Wiggins: As a team I’d say our goal is to do everything we can to get to the last game and win it. We need to play Georgia softball. We’ve experienced good and bad. I think we’re a great team and everyone has the same goal in their head right now. As a player I want to strive to get better every day. And work so I can look back and be a part of a team that made history.
Wiggins mentioned playing Georgia Softball, how would you describe Georgia Softball?
Goler: Georgia Softball in my opinion is playing with your heart and every ounce of energy you have and all of the passion and most importantly having fun. Because any one who watches us on TV some people hate it and some people love it. I know as players I can’t imagine playing on any other team and different environment but we have fun because we love softball and we get to play it and we just have the greatest team synergy because of that. I mean how often do you get to take the field with 9 of your best friends? It’s pretty rare that you get that opportunity. I think that most of us, especially the seniors realize that and as people grow up and get to our spot, they’re going to realize that too.
Bri: I think a lot of it has to do with you come in and you know that it’s a tradition. We have a different energy a different swagger about us. I think a lot of it has to do with our team chemistry. There are a lot of college coaches that have asked coach how she taught us to play the way we play: with energy and having fun. But you don’t get taught that. We come out and let our hair hang down and I think that’s just a part of Georgia Softball.
You’ve talked about Team Chemistry, What are some things that you guys do as a team to stay loose and close as a team?
Goler: Well, we have probably one of the funniest core group of people I’ve ever been with. We prank each other constantly. No one is beyond making fun of someone else (they all laugh), it’s all in good fun, whether it’s physical or emotional abuse. Like shoving Taylor Schlopy in the overhead compartment and pretending that the lock wouldn’t open (joint laughter). I think that the reason we play so well is because of all the stupid stuff we do off the field. I mean everyone knows it and I think everyone would pin-point me as being at the head of it all, but I think it makes us that much better. It allows us to play loose and that’s what we need because everyone knows that when you’re up tight you don’t perform as well as you could. Also, I hope that the tradition of being goofy and loose carries on when we’re gone. Because it wasn’t like that when we first got here and things have gotten a lot better, including our coaching staff because they’ve gotten a lot better too.
Wiggins, were you planning on playing professionally before you got drafted?
Wiggins: Well it’s always been a goal of mine. Before I even knew about the pro-team there was the USA team and that’s always been a dream of mine. But with the whole ordeal of the Olympic team (taking softball out of the Olympics) that’s probably not going to happen.
Now that you are selected to play professionally how do you feel?
Wiggins: I’m really excited and I can’t wait to play at the next level and I get to play with Goler. It’s just something that you think about on a daily basis now because it’s actually going to happen. It makes you think back to all the times you could have given up in the past. It helps you as a person to know that your hard work has paid off and shows one of your dreams coming true.
Bri, being one of the team’s top leaders in RBI’s, do you approach the plate differently when there are runners in scoring position?
Bri: To be honest, I kind of look at it like every other at bat, which is to stay in the process. Because if I look at the bases and see there’s a runner on and I start thinking I need to get them in, instead of ‘I want to’ then things start to crumble. I think my approach has been to have fun. It’s my senior year and I need to soak it up. Because I don’t know if it’s going to be my last game ever, or even my last season so I want to have fun while I’m playing.
So far in this season we’ve seen different players’ bats become “on fire” and right now Goler you have been unstoppable at the plate. Do you want to talk about how your approach in the box has changed from the beginning of the season?
Goler: Everyone knows that the “slump” is the worst feeling in the world as a softball player. You feel like you can’t catch a break, an outside pitch seems miles away, the bat seems as short as a toothpick, you know it’s tough. It’s one of the things that can make or break a player. The only way you can overcome it is if you have a tough approach and a positive attitude and you work extra. I think the great players know that and that’s what they do every day. At the beginning of the season I was having a tough time. But it shows how strong our line-up is, because you’re always going to have players that are ‘on’ or ‘off’ but we’re lucky because we make it work. And as far as seeing the ball right now, I can’t complain, and I hope it continues. But if things start to change I have complete faith in my teammates I know they’re going to have my back.
Closing Comments:
“We have to get to the World Series. We have to win it because we all want to look back and have no regrets.” –Alisa Goler, speaking on behalf of all seniors
No Response to "A Look at Georgia Softball’s Finest"
Post a Comment