Believing in what you Can Do

0 comments
"Don't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do" -John Wooden


 So, I'm in a rough patch; a dry spell; a plump slump; whatever you wanna call it I'm struggling in the box. And the fact of the matter is not that I don't know how to swing or hit the ball. The issue is that I don't know how to believe. I don't know how to believe in myself and play.  These are two separate yet related ideas.  Believing isn't the idea that you're always going to be successful.  Belief is the effort and drive that put you in a position to be successful.  The understanding that success isn't just in the form of outcome/numbers/results but instead in the process is belief.  In order to be a successful athlete you have to believe in yourself.  The reason those two words are in the same sentence (success and believe) is because only when you believe can you have success.  Now believing.  I can believe in my impeccable calves or my luscious locks but what good would that do me but to believe that I look like a female Arnold Schwarzenegger.  No.Belief is more.  Belief is so crucial because unless it's placed in the right thing it can be a deadly foe.  After being the biggest head case I've ever been after Regionals I wanted to talk to no one but my dad.  I told him how I went up to bat and felt like the world was on my shoulders and then some.  How, I not only doubted myself and abilities but looked up into the stands and thought that no one there wanted me to be on the field, wearing the uniform, and especially not about to step foot into the box.  How I wanted to cry before I even came up to bat.  I don't know what it is with me or why I got like that.  And after my dad's talk I thought I was over it.  But Satruday at the Super Regional series I had another glimpse of my frail mental state.  My dad told me how it's hard let alone impossible for someone to go up to bat with twenty different people on their shoulders.  He said, it's hard enough for just one person to go up to bat, why would I want to add more pressure and go up to bat with all those people on me.  He said how when Taylor goes to bat and shakes it out.  Well I need to do that but I need to shake off all those negative thoughts and demon friends I have on my shoulders.  He reminded me how I saw Bri in the itf one night (before the team was about to leave for the Mississippi series, and I was staying behind) how I saw her and told her she was a winner.  That no matter how many bad days she has, she's always a winner and a baller and nothing will change that.  Because we are who we are and God gave me these gifts and there's no turning back now so I might as well, do the best with what I've got.  Which makes me go back to the quote at the top by John Wooden "don't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do."  I feel like that is the death of me, when I start questioning oooo "I can't hit a change up" or ooo "I'm not seeing this pitcher" or ooooo "I'm not and will never be good enough to play here, why am I trying to fool myself" well those are all thoughts about what I can't do.  But what I can do is so much more.  And if I work to keep myself in that positive head-space and believe not only in my abilities but in the one who gave me my abilities, then no matter the outcome HE will always win if I play to glorify him. 
If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

No Response to "Believing in what you Can Do"