Summer Readings

0 comments
There is very little else, I enjoy more than a good read. 

Perhaps it's something about escaping the words and images of my non-fiction life and being enveloped by the waves of words and ideas of another fictional world.  Verbs... words that indicate action have the power of movement.  But when ideas promulgated with mere nouns, predicates, or yet the slight nuance of a grammatic interjection begin to themselves jump off the page in a sort of fashionly order to create beautiful images in your mind.  Images that are no longer a far away land, but your piece of fairytale... as if but a dream that you are awake for. 

That is the power of a book.  The power of reading. And every reason why I love words on a page over dancing images on a screen.  The words combined with the power of my imagination [My brain] Create a masterpiece.  I have the power to inflict my own creative hand when reading... a power already engulfed by producers/directors of cinema. 

To challenge my often-far-too-wordy-of-a-person-self (see what I did there) I'm writing my synopsis of the books I've read the past month in 200 words or less.

Enjoy!

The Host

Alien Scientology, Human Host Bodies, Overtaking Earth, Oh my!  ‘Never have I ever’ …thought this book would be of interest to me.  Comparable to swallowing that maroon liquid medicine (that tastes like all but nothing I’d ever want to have if it wasn’t a zillion percent necessary) I was determined to finish this book whether I liked it or not, because it was good for me... branching out from my comfort genres and opening my mind to the uncomfortable.  However, 120 pages and many precious moments later, I found myself entirely hooked. Earth, seemingly as we know it, yet without any humans left was an intriguing concept enough to drive me through those first 120 pages.  Along the way, Meyer’s concept became much more than the idea of weird aliens.  But issues of humans being the demise of our own race through increased violence and greed; the lead heroin being female; and of course a complex love triangle kept me glued for all 631 pages. 




Indelible Love (Emily's Story)
indelible: making marks that cannot be erased, removed or forgotten
Late night procrastinated study sessions, carry-out dinner in the dorm because you're both too lazy to cook, meeting at the scooter lot after MWF afternoon class, holding hands down the hallway to our morning class, wishing we could spend all night outside in the hammock staring at the stars (if only we could evade mandatory 6am workouts) we would have spent every minute together.  Living college.  Studying life.  Loving each other.
One day.  It's all over.  Shocked.  Broken.  Empty.
This novel took me down a memory lane I was all too hesitant to tour, and left me rejuvenated with hope and a feeling of closure.  D.W. Cee gives readers a tasteful romantic novel for all those that have experienced love and it's strong aftermath that although some love may never die, you can make room for more.  




Great Gatsby
Works like The Great Gatsby, will never die.  Poignant parallels parade every page of this novel.  The purpose of my highlighter became defeated, as it became evident that nearly every line of every page was highlighted bright with color.
A re-read of this novel from high school was a definite must.  So much I had missed the first time, and probably yet again that I will find on my next read, challenged me as an interested student of the art of writing to employ the full capacity of language. 
Pushed to its boundaries, Fitzgerald did.  
Although my attempt to rush and read this novel so that I could watch the movie has not yet been fulfilled.  I no longer crave as before to watch the movie after finishing the read, because I was fully satisfied in the images created by the words on the page.   







The Book of Tomorrows
Killing time while waiting for my friends to finish eating, I walked into Barnes N Noble and perused in my usual fashion **Instantly grabs handful books; Right there sits on floor; Opens cover and reads** 
The adage "don't judge a book by its cover" could never have been more false.  Pressed for time from my quick-eating friends, I had to make an impulse decision.  I went with Cecelia Ahern because, I mean just look at it... the cover is beautiful.
Never having read anything by her, I figured I'd give it a shot.  
Put me on the basketball court, there's maybe one, two, okay... plenty of times I'll shoot and miss.  Put me in the gun range, I won't hit a single shot.  Put me in the book store, I never miss.  This book was a definite slam dunk.  
Going into this book knowing very little, made it all the more fun.  Everyone loves a little secret, and how often does one secret lead to another.  You'll have to turn this one all the way to the very end to find out the truth.  Once you do it           leaves you with the question of a lifetime.  



A Moment of Weakness 
Kinsbury delivers once again.  This might be my twelfth book by her and I was enthralled as usual.  Lets put it this way, I checked this book out from the Athens Clarke County Library at 1pm and by 8pm I had finished all 410 pages.  Truth be told, I skipped at least ten pages when Jade and Tanner weren't together.  It's always such a struggle for me to read when the lovers aren't together.  I just can't accept that people who love each other that much, end up so far apart.  I believe love conquers all.  But with over-bearing parents, generational scandal, hypocritical church-goers, add in a large dosage of lies, broken trust, and hurt and you've got yourself the makings of a powerful novel.  It taught me how some love is never ending (que in glossary word from my other summer reading: indelible).  Even after years and world apart, it will find a way to be together. It taught me that when you let God lead the course, it won't be easy but it's the absolute best way.  Sexual purity is God's perfect plan.  Fight for it.  
Key verses: Jeremiah 29:11; Galatians 5:19,21 


The End of the Alphabet 


"It's just a story. Life goes on. Death goes on.  Love goes on.  It is all as simple as that.  Years from now, even you will return... and you will love the birds that you chase"  (p. 77).
Ambrose Zephyr-- Zipper Ashkenazi
... I believe the term is yin to your yang 

A couple. Two. In love. One. Diagnosed to death.  Thirty. Days... Left to live.  

What would you do if you knew your expiration date?  C.S. Richardson (a name I want to remember), with unparalleled prose takes you on an alphabetic adventure of a lifetime (pun intended... badump chink). 

The couple, rather than the plot, told a complete story from 
A--> Z 
If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

No Response to "Summer Readings"