I'm Concussed

0 comments
March 3, 2012
Less than 60 days till graduation, I decided to have the most impactful moment of my undergraduate career (no pun intended).
But really.
So, the story of how I got my concussion is pretty cool, I guess.  I broke a girls hand with my head.  (sliding into second base).

But the story of what I did after my concussion, the coolest.
And that is what I want to blog about and share, because frankly, I'm not sure if I want to forget how stubborn I am.  For all those times I'm trying to counteract their argument that I'm too strong-willed for my own good, here is some more proof for you.

So Friday night I slid into second and whiplashed my head so hard it directly hit the ground.  All I remember was getting up shaking my head and seeing fuzz.  I then remember taking my lead at second and coach yelling at me, "What are you doing??!! You're leading off after the ball is already at home plate!!" I kept shaking my head and reassuring her "I got this."  Somehow I advanced to 3rd base with peezy up.  She hit a deep fly ball to Left field that I took off running home on... there was only 1 out.  
Now there was 3.
Crud.

I think we won that game, but looking back on it I can't quite recall.  All I know is that we played 4 more games that weekend.  2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.  Did we win? Don't know. 
What I do know is that I couldn't see straight for the life of me.  
I remember glimpses. 
I remember going to Hibachi (sushi and japanese food buffet) with the team and just started crying and left.  I went home and started to fall asleep when Ors stopped by the house because "I needed to eat" and took me to Loco's with his agent and friend.  
I remember being up to bat on Sunday when coach called a time out and asked me what I was swinging at.  She said it was looking like I was "stealing and covering" every swing because those balls were in the other batters box.  
Crud.  
I didn't know what I was swinging at.  I tried to focus on release and couldn't see straight.  
It was a mess.
I blamed it on being tired, and didn't think twice of it.  

Monday.
I woke up and went to ADPR 3520 (Graphics) w/ Dr. Jones at 9 and then CMSD 4820 (ASL) w/ Patterson.  My normal routine.  
In the middle of my last class however I could sit there no longer.  My stomach was turning my head was spinning, meanwhile feeling milliseconds from passing out into the deepest REM cycle.  
I left class and walked to the bus stop. 
On my way there I realized I couldn't stand up or see straight.  I sat at the chair at the bus stop and closed my eyes swaying back and forth.  
Ten minutes and five buses must have passed by before I opened my eyes and finally got on one.
The panging in my head wouldn't cease and I did everything I could not to slopping fall onto the person sitting next to me.  I got off the bus and began my ten minute walk back to my car.  
16 seconds into this venture I realized I could go no further.  It was noon and I was outside the journalism.  I was most definitely at the most populated part of campus at the most crowded time.  
Crud.
My walk begins to stagger as I grab for my knees and from there it's all downhill.  My hands slide from my knees and are now on the floor.  I crawl into shade.  Into the most encouraging spot of oblivion.  A parking spot in shade right next to journalism building.  
My eyes close, my head is ringing and I feel like I'm about to upchuck all in the bush next to me as a car with an angel in the drivers seat pulls up next to me.  
Overwhelmed with worry she asks if I'm okay, I oblige for her offer to give me a ride.  She worked at the health center and said she could take me there instead I said no my car is fine.
She takes me to my car and perplexedly drives away.
I call my mom and she doesn't answer so I call my trainer Brandon.  I put on my most faux feeling good voice and he tells me he's at the training room at the coliseum.
Thank you Jesus for not letting me hit anyone on my way to the coliseum because I was nearly incoherent.  
I got to the training room, in a worse state than earlier.  Couldn't keep my eyes open, stand up straight or answer any question they asked me.
It was awful.
Went to the doctor and was definitely diagnosed.
All in all, it sucked because after 5 days my headaches started to go away but it was like I was still handcuffed.  I couldn't drive anywhere, and I never realized before how crucial one's freedom to drive are.  I had to retake the concussion and exertion test two times, it was awful and long! 
This was a learning experience for me.  I never knew how serious concussions were, I thought that if you just "tough'd it out, you'd be fine."
Wrong.
I'm thankful that I'm all healed up, and am still working on taking my "Brain Armour" pills!




If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

No Response to "I'm Concussed"