what's your theme song?

0 comments

Hope- Twista ft. Faith Evans


Sitting in class listening to Professor Boyd talk about music, my mind hums along to our class’ brainstorming of ideas as I twirl my necklace in my fingers. This beat playing in my head, this tapping of my feet that ever so slightly continues throughout my day, this boogie in my body that never fades- this is me. Music makes my tears and fears disappear. The moment the melody within me is released with a boogie and a beat, I can see my life more clearly. 



Three months and less then 80 days away from graduating college, I sit in class with a tap in my step and a rhythmic twirl to my hands. My necklace, a key with a word written on it, one word that I picked to describe myself becomes an instrument. It is an instrument that my fingers miraculously learned to play as I hum along in class. This instrument around my neck has one simple word written on it- hope.
At 22 ripe years of life, the comfort of security and a daily routine is about to change. The doors I have opened every morning I wake will soon be unknown. These doors of education are closing and the doors of work are opening. As I prepare to open this new door, I am not afraid, I am not timid, but I am opening with confidence and strength that my ten years of competitive training has gotten me. I’m going to embrace the future with hope. 




Looking back on my past and the hard times I’ve been through, many times we wish that things didn’t happen. I wish that I could be me and make someone’s day better. I wish that I could “lift the spirits of the world” with my words and that I could “take away the pain out cha hands and help you hold them high.” At a young age, I learned that these things that happen make us stronger and give us a reason to have hope. In 2004, when I was 14 year old, I fell in love with the movie “Coach Carter.” The “we are powerful beyond measure” speech enlightened my thinking of how I viewed myself for years to come. Aside from that amazing speech, I took away so much more from that movie. I got my childhood anthem. The song Hope by Twista featuring Faith Evans quickly became my talent show highlight for everyone that walked in the house. I could now rap as quickly as Twista and sing with ease like Faith. That song gave me it all. It gave me hope. 


Bad stuff happens, but with the future ahead of me this song reminds me that no matter the circumstance or obstacle you must keep hope alive. Twista’s inspirational lyrics and sing-along rap tempo made this a classic and all-time favorite of mine for eight years. “With the faith of a mustard seed you can move mountains, and only the heavenly father can ease the hurt, just let it go and keep praying on your knees in church and let’s HOPE.” 


If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

No Response to "what's your theme song?"