Through My Eyes is
Tim Tebow’s passionate autobiography, inspirational memoir, firsthand account,
never-before told story of his life, a life that’s bucked the trend and defied
the odds since birth. It is a story that
deserves to be told and known by all his supporters and nay-sayers out there. As you read you see his life is devoted to
his three great loves: faith, family and football.
Tebow walks you through his story from childhood on through
his stellar collegiate career to his rookie season with the Denver Broncos
giving you inside emotion and thoughts along the way. The narrative, written with Nathan Whitaker,
who is known for co-authoring many books with football great Tony Dungy
including the 2007 release of Quiet
Strength, one of the best-selling hardcover sports autobiographies
ever. The informal writing style offers
a unique, conversational, first-person insight on the life of a very unique and
ambitious individual.
Tim Tebow: possibly the most accomplished player in college
football history, the most desirable bachelor for nearly every young lady out
there, and an all around up-standing, good morals kind of guy. With two NCAA national Football
Championships, a Heisman Trophy, two Maxwell Awards for the nation’s top
football player, a Davey O’Brien Award for the nation’s best college quarterback,
a James E. Sullivan Award for the most outstanding amateur athlete in any
sport, and a first round pick of the NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos in 2010-
it’s safe to say Tebow has got it going on.
But what’s even more admirable then his on the field success is what
he’s done off the field. He is the
founder of the Tim Tebow Foundation, which was started to bring faith, hope and
love to those needing a brighter day in the darkest hour of need.
His junior year of college, Tebow tells u about his idea and
efforts to get permission from the NCAA to start a charity event called First
and 15. Tebow along with some friends
organized a Powder Puff football game with the sorority girls to raise
money. His senior year they included
even more charity events like an auction raising $500,000. This was actually “the most in one week that any student
organization in the country had ever raised” (213). Another special event was “Brighter Day” where
twelve underprivileged kids got to spend the day at Disney World. They also put on an ice-cream social in the
pediatric wing at Shands Hospital; with balloons and ice cream in the kids’
party room. Despite his efforts to eat
well, Tebow has a “soft spot for ice cream” (213). As I read about Tebow’s selfless heart to
organize events like this for the community I too grew a soft spot for this
great man.
I wouldn’t say I was a Tebow hater or lover before I read
this book. I thought he was talented,
but having been a gator alumnus I couldn’t stand exalting him to anything more
than another athlete in my mind.
However, after reading his open and honest account of his life my opinions
on him have not so much changed as I have finally looked beyond the “beat the
Florida gators” wall I put up. Without
meaning to, I let my Georgia bulldog pride interfere with having an honest
opinion about him. As a student athlete,
I feel I often have more than I can bargain on my plate. Tebow’s drive to work long and extra after
practice, graduate with honors, and offer so much time to community service
shows how well rounded he is. Thanks to
the vulnerability he shares in his book, I can now see him in a bright light
and for the person he really is. Which
is nothing shy of an amazing athlete, inspiring man, and kind hearted
person.
I don’t know much about the sport of football; other then that
the boys wear really tight pants and give you stinky sweaty hugs after the
games. After reading I was excited when
I could tell my guy friends I knew what an X, Y, and Z receiver were. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the different
games of Tebow’s career because I felt like I was right there in the game with
him. Seeing the game quite
appropriately through his eyes.
Aside from my newfound football knowledge this book is a
great evangelical tool for people at all different walks spiritually. Whether you are in agreeance and fervor with
Tebow’s evangelical style or you could care less for his religious jabber and
want to read more about the sweat and tears that went into the making of this
great player and man, this book is for you.
It has a subtle hint of religious beauty and truth without beating
verses down your throat. I found the
places where he chose to talk about his faith as appropriate, uplifting and
inspiring- a theme that went along with the rest of the book.
Since birth and at most every step of his life he has defied
convention and expectation, this book is nothing shy of that. Football junkies, athletes, and people in
general can be inspired by what Tebow has done on and off the field.
Tebow hopes that after reading his autobiography, you can
see that it’s honestly his story. He
says, “It’s real and I’m real. There are good things, there are great things,
there are not so good things, there are ups and downs but that’s the story of
my life. I want people to read this and
think there’s a guy trying to do it the right way, he’s working the best he can
he makes mistakes but he gets back up. And
that’s what it’s all about. A kid going
out there and trying accomplishing his dreams, do it the best he possibly can
and in the mean time be a good role model and help a lot of people along the
way.”
No Response to "Through My Eyes Book Review"
Post a Comment